Subscribe Twitter

National Menopause Awareness Month

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

September is National Menopause Awareness Month.... well let me tell you, I'm well aware!

The hot flashes, the mood swings, the attitude... I get it! Heck, I've got it, but I don't really want it....




Can I give it back?


On a serious note:
National Menopause Awareness Month

The ORWH joins the North American Menopause Society (NAMS) in recognizing September as National Menopause Awareness Month. This month-long event was established by U.S. federal legislators who recognized the need to increase awareness about the importance of having accurate information to enhance women’s health at menopause and beyond. In support of the same goal, October 18 has been designated World Menopause Day by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Menopause represents the end of a woman’s fertility and, on average, occurs at age 51. Although menopause is a natural event, there are potential short-term health effects (eg, hot flashes) and health consequences over the long term (eg, osteoporosis).

For more information on menopause, visit the NAMS Web site at www.menopause.org.

10 comments:

  1. What I don't understand is the "pause" part. A pause means something is going to start up again and the way the doctor described things to me she emphasized the word pause. Oh well, great post!

  1. Annie Boreson said...:

    I think the love of these good times should have been split evenly with men. After all, we have periods, childbirth, and finish with menopause. Too much fun not to share!

  1. If men don't share in this blessed event, why is it called
    M E N Opause? Really I do know the answer to that question, and it's not because it relates to menses. It's because it's men who tell us what it is, how to deal with it, and to "get over it" ( a la Archie Bunker.) :)
    Rosemary

  1. EmptyNester said...:

    I'm still waiting on the thing to hit me. I think I'm running late- but hey, if it avoids me altogether, that's fine! LOL

  1. Main problem for me? The symptoms of a hot flash were almost exactly the same as those of low blood sugar, and as a diabetic I have to treat low blood sugar--fast.

  1. I was lucky, the women in our family are done by 45 with about 3 months of discomfort. Now, the unlucky part is the extra years w/o hormones, but I won't take the post menopause hormones.

  1. Michael Ann said...:

    Hi Debra! Thanks for visiting my recipe blog and following! I thought I'd come visit you here. I'm 46 so have maybe a couple more years to go before the big M, but going through all the peri stuff. This site is a great resource, thank you!

  1. My doc & I were just discussing yesterday how long I have left before it hits me because I have endo & the insurance is fussing about treating it now, when supposedly I am 'so close' to menopause statistically. My mom was 57 before it hit her. I am 44. God I hate statistics.

    Stopping by from LBS!

  1. MicheWoman said...:

    Hi,

    Dropping by from Lady Bloggers.

    I LOVE the name of your site! It's PERFECT!

    I think I'm having the starting of menopause symptoms and I'm NOT LIKING IT! Hot all the time and get depressed once a month. I don't want to take hormones so not sure how I'm going to handle this.

    Thanks for your posts!

    Kim
    http://LifestyleAndFashionPlace.com

  1. Sheri Powell said...:

    Even though this was posted last year...it is so timely.....I will share on my FB if it is not okay with you please let me know. When you PAUSE, visit www.PausingWithGod.com

    I recently published a book Pausing With God A Journey Through Menopause.

    God Bless Sheri

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. Have a humor-filled day!