Gender Across Borders and CARE are asking bloggers to address one or both of the following points:
- How can we, as a culture and as members of the global community, involve, educate, and inspire girls in a positive way?
- Describe a particular organization, person, group or moment in history that helped to inspire a positive future and impact the minds and aspirations for girls.
For International Women's Day I've chosen to write about both topics by weaving the two together to create a beautiful quilt of many different colors.
When I think about inspiring young girls today I think of the phrase "Girl Power". Young girls have to be empowered, they have to have skills along with knowledge. They have to know how to achieve their dreams, their future and it all starts with POWER...
- Promote positive permission: What do I mean? Young girls want(need) permission to do anything, whether negative or positive. Our jobs(duty) as mentors is to promote positive permission. What is positive permission and how do you give something a young girl may not want? Positive permission is giving a young girl a chance to create her life goals for the betterment of her future. When you give positive permission you're letting her know it's O.K. to live to her full potential. Her life is probably already filled with negatives, but you can be the one that creates the quilt of positive permission and give her the opportunity to soar. Let her know you are in her corner, that you really care about her and her future. Be the positive in her unsure life.
- Owning oneself: Young girls are not chattel, but unfortunately they have become "slaves" to social norms. They follow trends instead of dreams. Young girls don't own themselves, but owned by what is expected of them by their peers. When a young girl "sells" her values she loses sight of her future. The job of a mentor is to teach young girls they have ownership of themselves. They own their future. Teach them not to sell their values. Friends are temporary, but life is permanent and what they do with it depends on ownership of oneself.
- Winning wars within: A young girls life is filled with emotional turmoil. She has so many things going on inside of herself. Self-consciousness is her worse road block. It can keep her from accomplishing her goals and living her dreams. It can also keep her from achievements.A strong woman(like you) who is confident can and will empower a young girl who has an emotional war going on inside herself. You can instill the building blocks that will turn an emotionally scarred girl into a super charged woman. Building blocks include self-confidence, worthiness, and control. Give them the tools(building blocks) for their future. Build self-confidence by showing they are worthy of who they are. Let them know they're in control of their own destiny. The war within a young girl can be won with the help of you. You have the tools to empower their emotional stability.
- Encouraging education: Education is the key to any young girls future. It opens doors to possibilities. As a mentor you should encourage the education of young girls. To many young girls the door is closed to an education of any kind. In many underprivileged countries young girls don't even know how to read or write. Their only purpose is to marry and serve someone else. Even in some rural parts of the United States the nations' daughter's are under-educated or not at all. The sad fact is these young girls will stay impoverished and under-educated without the help of a strong mentor. Stand up for the education of all, not just some. Encourage education, make it possible and open the door to tomorrow.
- Respecting responsibility: We are all different! Different backgrounds, different cultures, but we all have one thing in common: WE ARE STRONG WOMEN! We are black, white, and brown, but together as one we can teach young girls to respect responsibility. Responsibility is the key to everything in between now and the future of our young girls. The reality is young girls need mentors. They need guidance, structure and discipline. They need responsibilities to show them what their future is all about. Without any responsibility in their young lives they are going nowhere. Guide them onto the right path of respect. Give them structure in their lives. Young girls need a structured pattern. Without structure there is no discipline and without discipline there is no future.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TODAY TO CHANGE THE LIFE A YOUNG GIRL TOMORROW ?
These organizations help young girls realize their dreams, goals and futures by promoting,owning,winning, encouraging,and respecting.
Girl Power Groups
Girl Power Rocks
Girls for a Change