March Is National Autoimmune Diseases Awareness Month
Posted by Debra Ann Elliott at 5:07 PM Saturday, March 3, 2012
1. 50 million Americans have an autoimmune disease comprising a major U.S. health crisis
2. There are 100+ autoimmune diseases including, lupus, Crohn's disease, celiac, Addison's disease, vasculitis, vitiligo, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and ulcerative colitis.
3. Autoimmune diseases tend to "cluster" in families, for example, if your grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis (RA) or lupus, you could be at greater risk for developing an autoimmune disease.
4. Less than 13 percent of American's can name an autoimmune disease and yet it ranks as deadly as Cancer and Heart Disease.
5. Autoimmune diseases target women 75 percent more often than men and they are one of the top ten killers of women under the age of 64.