Subscribe Twitter

Am I Defined By My Health?

Saturday, April 7, 2012
Today's HAWMC prompt: Health Activist Choice! Write about what you want today. So for today's prompt I thought I would write about my health and how it defines me.


Am I defined by my health or is my health defined by me?


I have an autoimmune disease which from the graphic above you can see how it effects a woman's body. Is this how I am defined? Every speck of my body  suffers some ailment. I am chained to pain. There is not a crook or crevice that is not affected. My health does define who I am in the present state. It wears me out, it tears at my joints, it rears its ugly head and inflames.


Autoimmune disease defines me. It makes me weak. I am no longer who I once was. I wish I had a magic potion I could swallow so I could define my disease. I wouldn't hurt any longer. I could enjoy life to the fullest if only I defined my health. 


My checklist:


Mind, no longer sharp ✓
Eyes, no longer focused ✓
Skin, no longer smooth ✓
Joints, no longer workable ✓
All other in betweens, no longer function ✓


So you see I am defined my by health. I am who I am, but I'm  not Popeye the Sailor Man...











2 comments:

  1. Diane Carlisle said...:

    You are also defined by what you write. This is an inspirational reminder to people who are unhappy but without the physical pains of this horrible disease. I can't imagine the constant pain.

    When my husband was going through cancer treatments, someone asked, "How do you live with it?" I told them that I'm happy he has another day with us, he could have been taken from me instantly in some car accident. He beat the cancer so far.

    Things happen suddenly that can change our lives forever. I wish for them to find a cure for you, to relieve your pains.

    I'm what the doctor calls perimenopausal, so am looking forward to the journey, starting with multi-vitamins and herbal tea! And more posts at high heels and hot flashes (lol, love the title of your blog)

  1. I can't imagine what the pain must be like either.

    Diane, I think that mindset does the trick. It's a different way of looking at things.

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. Have a humor-filled day!