Subscribe Twitter

Fighting a Hard Battle

Monday, April 2, 2012
When you suffer from any debilitating disease life can be complicated, overwhelming and overbearing. I know, because I have an autoimmune disease. Just getting through my day is 90% stress. There are days when I don't even want to get out of bed. There are days when I don't have a choice either. I have to get up and go on. There are also days when I am not a kind person because of my illness. It's not that I am trying to be hateful, I'm just hurting. My pain takes over my mind, body and soul to which I lose all control.

One of my favorite things to do as a writer is to collect inspirational sayings. These inspiring words help me get through a tumultuous day. One of the most inspiring quotes I have found is "Be Kind, For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle." This quote has been attributed to many authors, but it really doesn't matter who said it. What matters is those 11 words have a deeper meaning in the life of a suffering person. We all fight our battles differently. Some of us aren't kind. We have become mean-spirited. We have lost our emotional connection with other human beings.

I'll be the first to admit I have. I am no longer a gentle, kind soul. My body is wracked with pain which makes me a hateful person. I have to remind myself everyday I am not the only one in pain, those around me are too. When I suffer so does my family. Life is really too short to go through it being spiteful, hateful and unkind.

Pain will always be there, but it doesn't have to control your feelings. Be kind to someone today, you never really know what battle they are fighting. Yes, you have your own battles to win, but don't surrender to negativity. Be an inspiration to others by being a kind person to everyone you meet.

Today's HAWMC prompt is Quotation Inspiration. Find a quote that inspires you (either positively or negatively) and free write about it for 15 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Diane Carlisle said...:

    Thank you for this post, Debra. I'm constantly reminded that we all suffer.

    My father died of a massive heart attack at a young age (49). My mother died of cancer six years ago. She was a young 63.

    My husband went through surgery and treatment for a soft tissue sarcoma and only last month he welcomed a six inch scar on his back from having a melanoma infected mole removed.

    Now, I have an appointment to go over a mammogram and ultra sound screening from my latest boob test!

    Sometimes you wonder...how much is one person supposed to endure?

    I'm with you, lady!

  1. Thank you for posting this, Debra.

    Sometimes- often, I imagine, the illness isn't immediately apparent, but what it does to the patient is all too real and painful.

  1. Carole said...:

    Nice post. You might like this Wordsworth quote about little acts of kindness. Carole's Chatter blogspot Acts of Kindness

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. Have a humor-filled day!