Subscribe Twitter

The First Time I...

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge is winding down with only two days to go. I've enjoyed the challenge and blogging about my health issues. Today's HAWMC prompt is The First Time I… Write a post about the first time you did something. What is it? What was it like? What did you learn from it?

I am going a little off kilter today because it is the 36th anniversary of my daddy's death. My daddy died at the age of 51 from prostate cancer. So today I am paying tribute to my daddy Claude Gray Jr. August 6th, 1924-April 28th, 1976.

The first time I learned my daddy was sick I ran away. I was only 15 and couldn't face life without daddy. I didn't have the strength or courage to watch him die. I was a coward. I did return and made amends with my daddy, but it was short lived. He died not long after I came home. I didn't want to be there to see him slip away, but I was. 

The first time I saw my daddy closed his eyes I thought this was his end to life. I couldn't breath. My body was numb and my heart heavy. It was as the life had been sucked out of me. No child should ever watch their parent die.

The first time I was held by my daddy I was four months old. You see my parent's adopted me. It didn't matter to daddy I was his baby doll. I was his daughter. 

The first time I cried was when he closed his eyes and took his last breath.


My parent's Claude and Margaret Gray

2 comments:

  1. Kelly Hashway said...:

    So sorry about your dad, Debra.

  1. I'm very sorry about your father.

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. Have a humor-filled day!