Subscribe Twitter

Negotiating with Myself

Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Today's HAWMC prompt: Open a Book. Choose a book and open it to a random page and point to a phrase. Use that phrase to get you writing today. Free write for 15-20 without stopping.

I picked my phrase from the book 'Getting Past No'. My phrase is " We may all be negotiators, yet many of us don't like to negotiate."

I love this phrase. It fits me to a T. I don't like to negotiate. I know I can, because we all are some kind of negotiator. We negotiate with our family, our co-workers and customers. I do it everyday, but I hate it!

I'm not sure why I don't like to negotiate, maybe fear of rejection or fear of failure. I don't really know. Negotiation is a skill I have not mastered. I can't do it(or maybe I just don't want too). I won't even negotiate with myself.

If I could negotiate with myself I would show myself the cons of a poor diet, the risks of poor health and the downside of not listening to my body. I realize my health is important I shouldn't have to negotiate with myself to listen to what my body is saying. It's a negotiation hell. It's a daily struggle between my brain and heart. I'm the negotiator and not a very good one.

My heart wants to eat unhealthy,but my mind knows it not good for my body. The negotiator in my tries to tell my heart it's O.K. to splurge every once in a while, but not everyday. My mind flurries with activity and my negotiation skills fly out the door. I guess that's why I am not a good negotiator. I guess why in three months I've gained 20 pounds.

To negotiate with myself takes more willpower than I have. It's a losing battle of the wills. Neither side will give an inch, but take a mile. Neither side will listen to my body. It's their way or the highway.

Negotiating with your body takes willpower, skill and time. It's not an overnight, get it right thing you just can do. It takes a lot of practice, but practice does make perfect. In the coming months I am going to practice my negotiation skills and tell my mind to tell my heart it's time to listen to what my body is saying.


1 comments:

  1. Negotiation with others, let alone yourself, really needs the right mindset.

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. Have a humor-filled day!