Subscribe Twitter

Depression and Menopause

Monday, May 7, 2012


I thought for day two of National Anxiety and Depression Awareness Week I would discuss depression and menopause.


If you Peri-menopausal, menopausal or post-menopausal chances are you suffer from depression.   Depression can kill you!


What is depression? This is a hard question to really answer. Most women at some time in their life feel depressed, but over time these feelings can over shadow their daily lives.

For the menopausal woman depression can become a staple in her life and she can no longer function. There are many kinds of depression. After the birth of my third child I experienced post postpartum depression. I had a severe case, but it didn't take me over the edge like menopausal depression has.

You see, I suffer from not only anxiety disorder but depression as well. It was mild at first until the onset of menopause. There are days when I cannot function.

There are of course good days and worse days. There are days when I cannot function or my body doesn't get along with my mind. There are days when I am walking around in a fog. There are days when the pain is so overwhelming I want to scream.

The hardest part about menopausal depression for me is surviving the work force . I now have a full time (working 9 hours a day)job when I get so exhausted I want to call it quits. I know I can't. I know I have to function and try to get passed the hurdles associated with menopausal depression. It's a daily uphill battle. Maybe I'll win or maybe I won't...

There are a lot of great resources available on the subject of depression and menopause. Take advantage of them. Depression hurts no only you, but those around you...

One good source is Women and Depression: Discovering Hope.




12 comments:

  1. Laury said...:

    Thanks for sharing. I finally got on a medicine for it which worked great but it made me gain all the weight I worked so hard to lose. I finally told the doctor NO MORE! and he put me on something else which isn't working. It's very hard to function at work or home. Only 2 more weeks of work and then summer off. But then again...I can't lay comatose until it starts:) It's sure a wild ride being a woman in her late 40's almost 50!

  1. Barbara W. said...:

    Wonderful post - I'm embarrassed to say I had no idea it was National Anxiety and Depression Awareness Week because this is a huge issue in my life. I'd had some depression and anxiety my entire life but it got much worse around the time of a very traumatic c-section. I've been in peri-menopause for a couple of years now and sometimes it's nearly unbearable (and I've been on meds with a wonderful doctor for years).

    I just want to feel normal again, starting with full menopause so I can at least get THAT taken care of. Oh Laury, I can so relate to the weight gain. I have some other health issues and their prescriptions, but I gained 70 lbs at one point.

    (Debra Ann, I came over from Blogoholics - new GFC follower and I'm so glad I did - I bookmarked you!)

  1. Mia said...:

    Hi Debra!

    Sometimes I think things happen for a reason. I received your group message from blogaholics so I came on your blog to say hi. Btw, I am your newest follower!

    I think it's great that you are discussing depression and anxiety disorders. I just finished reading a book called Emerald City that deals with depression & suicide. I felt that the author did a great job discussing such a sensitive topic. The only way to help people is to spread awareness and offer ways for people to get help and how to cope, right?

    Anyway, feel free to check out my blog sometime and follow.

    Best Wishes!

    Mia at The Muses Circle

  1. Diane Carlisle said...:

    I'm ready for it, Debra. I suffered postpartum depression when I had both of my children. I'm not so sure if it feels the same, but I'll definitely watch out for it.

    I feel lucky for a support system which includes my older sister by 11 months. We are able to share our experiences since they are so close together.

    You have your support system right here at your blog, too. I hope we can all keep you going through the roughest of times!

  1. kario said...:

    Thanks for sharing this information! There are a lot of nutritional supports that are helpful with depression, too (I have a terrific naturopath who helped me navigate all of the possibilities out there). Often, making changes like this and adding yoga and meditation can help immensely and keep you from having to go on medication. Our bodies are changing so much during menopause that it only makes sense we ought to change how we treat them.

  1. Deb said...:

    Thanks for sharing your story. Menopause was terrible for me, depression, hot flashes, insomnia, racing heart beat, and more. But it got better and I hope it gets better for you too. Hang in there!

  1. Thanks for bringing my awareness to this week. I guess as an anxiety blogger, I should know this!

  1. My mother has had this, and she manages through it. It was brought on by menopause.

    In my case, depression was brought on by events.

  1. Jennifer said...:

    Menopausal depression is not just a myth but a medical condition that occurs due to hormonal changes. We should provide our moms and relatives undergoing this state with understanding and support. Although this may be an unavoidable stage in a woman’s life, treating them with love and understanding can help them overcome the effects of depression.




    Jennifer West

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Every weekend i used to pay a visit this site, as
    i want enjoyment, since this this site conations actually fastidious funny
    information too.
    Here is my page :: captain black tobacco

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
    There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Many thanks
    Also see my webpage - http://www.yourtobaccosstore.com/4-golden-virginia

  1. Anonymous said...:

    I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?

    Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this
    one these days.
    Here is my webpage :: acne remedy

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. Have a humor-filled day!