Subscribe Twitter

May is Vasculitis Awareness Month

Friday, May 4, 2012

It was not my intention to leave out any autoimmune disease awareness information this month. It was brought to my attention by one of my readers that May is also Vasculitis Awareness Month.

What is vasculitis?


Vasculitis is an inflammation of the blood vessels in the body. In vasculitis, the body's immune system mistakenly attacks the body's own blood vessels, causing them to become inflamed. Inflammation can damage the blood vessels and lead to a number of serious complications.

Vasculitis can affect any of the body's blood vessels. These include arteries, veins, and capillaries. Arteries are vessels that carry blood from the heart to the body's organs, veins are the vessels that carry blood back to the heart, and capillaries are the tiny blood vessels that connect the small arteries and veins.



 




3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, this sounds dangerous. Thanks for showing me a little bit of health related information that I didn't even know about!

  1. Deb said...:

    Thanks so much for helping to raise awareness of Vasculitis. The worst part of having this disease is that it's so often misdiagnosed and by the time you find out you have it you are in serious trouble usually in the hospital emergency room!

  1. I'll have to ask my mother... I wonder if my grandmother might have had this condition.

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. Have a humor-filled day!