Are you a part of an autoimmune family? You are not alone! We are 50 million strong.
This month, the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA) will launch an awareness campaign titled, "We are 50 Million."
The answers to this question highlight some important facts about autoimmune diseases, facts which every American should be aware.
1. 50 million Americans have an autoimmune disease comprising a major U.S. health crisis
2. There are 100+ autoimmune diseases including, lupus, Crohn's disease, celiac, Addison's disease, vasculitis, vitiligo, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and ulcerative colitis.
3. Autoimmune diseases tend to "cluster" in families, for example, if your grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis (RA) or lupus, you could be at greater risk for developing an autoimmune disease.
4. Less than 13 percent of American's can name an autoimmune disease and yet it ranks as deadly as Cancer and Heart Disease.
5. Autoimmune diseases target women 75 percent more often than men and they are one of the top ten killers of women under the age of 64.
Get Involved! Help AARDA Raise Awareness of Autoimmune Diseases.
Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post. I wrote this to spread the importance of autoimmune disease.