Subscribe Twitter

Mental Health Month Blog Day-#mhblogday

Wednesday, May 15, 2013
I'm Blogging for Mental Health.


Today is the fourth annual Mental Health Month Blog Day and my second year to participate. Mental health  affects millions of women, myself included.


Mental health: it’s the way your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors affect your life. Having good mental health helps you make better decisions and deal with daily stressors at home, at work, and in your family. Sometimes, you may need help from a professional to take care of your mental health, especially if feelings or problems seem beyond your control.
Congress designated May as Mental Health Month in 1949 to illustrate the importance of mental health issues to the overall health and well-being of American citizens. Each year, bloggers will join APA  for a Mental Health Month Blog Day to educate the public about mental health, decrease stigma about mental illness, and discuss strategies for making lasting lifestyle and behavior changes that promote overall health and wellness.
You can help people recognize the importance of good mental health, overcome stigma, and seek out professional mental health services when needed? Learn More


Since last year my mental health has gone South. Let me explain. My mental health has always teetered between sane and insane, but recently I reached a breaking point. My youngest daughter is dying and I'm responsible for her full-time care and the stress is overwhelming. There are many days when I want to stay in bed with the covers over my head. There are days I want to ignore my daughter. There are days I feel guilty. There are days when I want to walk away.

My depression has worsened as well as my anxiety. Sometimes I feel very alone in a gigantic fishbowl called life. It seems I'm swimming nowhere fast. I sometimes forget that I'm not alone.

It's important for women to know there is help out there.

If you feel like you're swimming nowhere fast, don't be ashamed to ask for help. You're not alone! There is help out there.


Some facts about mental health to get you started:
  • One in four Americans experiences a mental health disorder every year, according to the National Institutes of Mental Health.
  • Chronic stress can affect both our physical and psychological well-being by causing a variety of problems including anxiety, insomnia, muscle painhigh blood pressure and a weakened immune system.
  • Research published in the Journal of Health and Social Behavior (Vol. 41, No. 2) finds that 68 percent of Americans do not want someone with a mental illness marrying into their family and 58 percent do not want people with mental illness in their workplaces.
If you want to participate in today's Mental Health Month Blog Day participating is easy:
  1. Publish a blog post that incorporates mental health’s importance. Tell people why it’s important to you and why it should be important to everyone.
  2. Include a link back to yourmindyourbody.org or one of its own blog posts.
  3. Add the “I’m blogging for mental health 2013″ badge to your blog post. Add the badge by copying and pasting the HTML code.
  4. Share your blog and any blogs you discover or our round-up on posts on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr, Pinterest, or any social networking sites you are on. Use #mhblogday as the tag.
  5. Keep returning to Your Mind, Your Body throughout the day to see what new blogs have joined the party.
  6. Find new blogs to read and bloggers to follow! Comment on their posts. Share their links. Spread the word about mental health awareness!

Be sure to check out all the great Mental Health Month Blog Day posts.





2 comments:

  1. shelly said...:

    Prayers, hugs, and chocolate to you.

  1. Your family continues to be in my thoughts.

    There's still so much of a stigma to it. In my case, I needed therapy, someone to talk to about it, but that doesn't make us weak.

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. Have a humor-filled day!