Subscribe Twitter

#NHBPM Nov. 4: Training Wheels

Monday, November 4, 2013
#NHBPM Nov. 4: Training Wheels
Write about a time your health condition forced you to grow up and take the training wheels off (so to speak).


Because I suffer from fibromyalgia, I always walk around with training wheels on, but a few months ago I was forced to take off my training wheels and grow up. My youngest daughter passed away in May and my life as I knew it(training wheels and all) changed. I could not longer focus on me or my pain. I had to focus on my daughter. She was very ill and dying. I had to grow up and take care of her regardless of my chronic daily pain. For five weeks I rode by "bicycle" without the use of training wheels. I had to learn to forget my pain and give my child all the attention she needed. I found the strength to get through the days without bitching or complaining about me. My painful world disappeared. I rode through five weeks without training wheels and didn't think about myself. I wrapped my pain up and threw it away. It was difficult to take the training wheels off for 5 weeks, but when you have to grow up and do what's needed the training wheels come off.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart aches for you. When you are married and you lose your spouse you are a widow or a widower, when you are a parent and you lose a child there simply is no name for that. You never stop being a parent to your child even when they pass and your heart never stops hurting for them. My thoughts, prayers, hopes and blessings go out to you and your family. May you find peace. Love, Maddie

  1. A very eloquent way of saying that, Debra.

    Six months... sometimes it seems like yesterday when we have a loss of a loved one, other times it seems so long ago.

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. Have a humor-filled day!